Friday, March 27, 2009

From BC to Natick and back

Tomorrow is the 22 mile run from Boston College (mile 21 on the Boston Marathon course) to Natick (mile 10)and back to Boston College. 22 Miles on the course tomorrow. It will be my first time on the earlier part of the course.

Preparing for a training run is almost like prepping for the marathon day. Stomach full of pasta, lots of water, rest & carefully choosing my running clothes for the day based on weather and distance.

pasta:
Today at lunch myself and two coworkers had planned to hit the Lexington Greater Boston Running Company for some shopping. I needed to buy some shot blocks for the 22 mile run, and also picked up some running socks, and my coworker Colleen needed new shoes badly. We picked up lunch across the street where the eggplant parm penne was on special, so i decided to carbo load at lunch time today. I also made some whole wheat spaghetti for dinner tonight.

Water:
I needed extra caffeine today at work, so i got started on the water later than i wanted to, but have been drinking a decent amount tonight. Between now and tomorrow before i leave i will drink at least a liter. I tend to drink water throughout the night (always have a bottle of water next to my bed).

Rest:
Fridays have become traditionally very busy at my job... trying to squeeze as much as possible in by the end of the week. Today was a bit overwhelming and stressful trying to meet deadlines multi tasting dozens of projects at once; with several fires to put out today. Did not make for a very restful day. however when i got home from work, i took Murray on a 2 mile walk; talked to a friend and my brother Tim on the phone for a bit; just before winding down with my pasta and Grey's Anatomy (it's so good right now!).

Carefully choosing my running clothes:
I picked my long sleeved dry knit 2006 NYC Marathon shirt and either my mid calf tights or a running skirt. Yes, i said running skirt! They have become a new popular running item, check the Runners World article here from the July 2008 issue by Kristin Armstrong (Lance's ex wife).

I have not worn it yet, which makes me not sure i want to wear it tomorrow for a 22 miler. i want to wear something i know will not rub the wrong way (the tights I wore during the NYC 06 Marathon & on many other runs). Although this skirt has very good reviews online. I bought it last fall, and i have been wanting to test it out! Check it out here.

Now i should really get more rest and go to bed. More to come tomorrow!