Thursday, March 5, 2009

Hyannis Half Marathon


Back on Feb 22 I ran the Hyannis Half Marathon! Hyannis is about an hour and a half south on the Cape. I drove down with fellow DFMC team member Paul that morning. The weather was warmer than predicted... there was snow/rain in the forcast. Setting out to run the half marathon i was nervous! i get nervous of the unknown. Not knowing what the weather will be, if i will have a cramp, or a tight muscle, anything can throw off the race. My goal is to feel good, finish strong and hopefully beat my PR. The last half i ran was in Oct. 2007, the Boston Half Marathon that I hardly trained for. I finished in 2:10. I know i have finished one of the Cincinnati Flying Pig Half marathons in 2:05, so close to 2 hours was going to be my goal, even better if it was under 2hours. I ran the course, sort of bored, i had no running pals with me! Paul ran ahead, and Beth, another DFMCer, was going to be there, but i didn't end up seeing her until mile 12 when she tapped me on the shoulder to say hi (and then she sped up the hill- Beth is good at uphill!). I ran by my lonesome... and actually listened to my iPod, which i don't think i have EVER done during a race. I don't prefer it, but it gave me some good distraction over the 13.1 miles. My preference is to take in the race and talk with fellow running friends.

I finised at 1:58, just in time to miss the oncoming rain!

The map of the course is below. The full marathon runners had to run the same 13.1 route twice! I think that would be tough!